This page has essential local information relevant to Buxton and FAQs about what you might need to know about local facilities and businesses in the town.
It also has the latest information about current UK Government covid restrictions in England.
Covid restrictions end as ‘living with COVID-19’ plan is announced by Prime Minister
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that the UK Government will continue to work closely with the Devolved Administrations, but the ongoing approach for England will be around four principles, including:
1. The removal of all domestic restrictions in law
From Thursday, 24th February:
- The legal requirement to self-isolate following a positive test will end. Self-isolation support payments will also end. COVID provisions for Statutory Sick Pay will still be able to be claimed for a further month.
- Routine contact tracing will end. Fully vaccinated close contacts and those under 18 will no longer be asked to test daily for seven days.
- The legal requirement for close contacts who are not fully vaccinated to self-isolate will be removed.
- Until 1st April, people who test positive will still be advised to stay at home. After April 1st people with Covid-19 symptoms will be advised to exercise personal responsibility.
From 1st April:
- Free symptomatic and asymptomatic testing for the general public will end.
- The UK Government will no longer recommend the use of voluntary COVID19-status certification, although the NHS app will continue to allow people to indicate their vaccination status for international travel.
2. Continuing to protect the most vulnerable with targeted vaccines and treatments.
3. Maintaining resilience: ongoing surveillance, contingency planning and the ability to reintroduce key capabilities such as mass vaccination and testing in an emergency.
4. Securing innovations and opportunities from the COVID-19 response, including investment in life sciences.
Public Toilets in Buxton
Town Hall, Market Place: open 10am to 4pm everyday – baby changing facilities and accessible.
Pavilion Gardens Car Park: open 9am – 5pm daily.
Pavilion Gardens main building toilets: 9.30am – 5pm daily.
Pavilion Gardens Kiosk toilets (next to the Boating Lake): open when the Kiosk is open – currently closed for winter.
Pavilion Kitchen / Tea Room toilets: Open from 9.30am
Sylvan Car Park: open 10am – 4pm everyday
Waitrose, Springs Shopping Centre: Closed.
Car Parks in Buxton
There are a number of pay and display car parks in and around Buxton, all of which include disabled spaces. All car park ticket machines accept cash only currently and they do not give change.
Bridge Street Car Park
Buxton Town Hall, The Slopes
Parking is available on the Market Place in Higher Buxton except Tuesdays and Saturdays when Buxton Market takes places all day.
Please note that the under section of the car park closes and is locked between the hours of 6pm and 8am.
Spring Gardens and Wye Street
This car park is part of the Springs Shopping Centre and Waitrose is located here.
Sylvan Road (end of Spring Gardens)
For more detailed information on car parking and charges, go to highpeak.gov.uk/Buxton-car-parks
Public transport in Buxton
Northern have an updated timetable effective from 12th December 2021 – 14th May 2022. Find the latest timetables here. Buxton to Manchester trains are Route No.20 in the list of timetables.
High Peak Buses
For all routes operated by High Peak Buses including popular routes such as the Skyline 199, Fairfield / Harpur Hill 185/186 and Buxton to Macclesfield 158, visit their website at highpeakbuses.com/bus-services
Their Twitter account is also updated regularly which live service updates: twitter.com/HighPeakBuses
Buxton Visitor Centre (The Pump Room)
February 2022 Opening times
Until the 20th February
Wednesday to Sunday:
10am to 4pm
The 21st to the 28th of February
Monday to Saturday:
10am to 4pm
Sunday: 10.30 to 3.30pm
March 2022 Opening times
Wednesday to Saturday:
10am to 4pm
Sunday: 10.30 to 3.30pm
Attractions in Buxton
The complex is open with various opening times for different areas. Please visit our full listing for the latest information on opening times for various areas at Pavilion Gardens: explorebuxton.co.uk/pavilion-gardens-buxton-whats-on-2021/
Gallery in the Gardens (Inside Pavilion Gardens)
Monday – Friday 9.30am – 4pm, Saturday & Sunday 9.30am – 5pm
Buxton and High Peak Golf Club
Open. Advance bookings only – please book online or contact the club directly.
Poole’s Cavern & Country Park
Open. cavern tours must be booked in advance. Group sizes are limited to allow for social distancing and space to see the cavern and hear the guide. Face coverings are required in the visitor centre and on cavern tours unless exempt. Visit their website to find out more and to book your tickets. Café in the Cavern is open with indoor and outdoor seating.
The Green Man Gallery
Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10.30am – 4.30pm. Free entry.
Buxton Museum and Art Gallery
Open Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm. Last admissions 4pm. Free entry.
Buxton Crescent Visitor Experience
Buxton Opera House and Buxton Cinema
Buxton Opera House and Buxton Cinema are open. Face coverings are now mandatory in theatres and cinemas from 10th December 2021 as per the UK Government guidance.
Major Events and Festivals
Buxton Well Dressing Festival and Buxton Carnival Day. Postponed in 2021. The committe hope that a full festival can take place in 2022.
YNOT: Organisers took the decision to cancel the 2021 festival. Ticket holders for 2021 should refer to their website for more information. YNOT is scheduled to take place 29th – 31st July 2022.
Eat in the Park: Pavilion Gardens, 20th & 21st August 2022. eatinthepark.uk
Chatsworth Country Fair: Scheduled to take place 2nd – 4th September 2022. Tickets are now on sale and currently with 20% off prices. Find out more on their website.
Heritage Open Days: 9th – 18th September 2022. heritageopendays.org.uk
Please remember that businesses continue to face challenges, in particular staff shortages due to staff self isolating or being unwell with COVID-19. So please be patient if takes a little longer for you to be served when visiting these establishments. 💚
Page updated: 12th December 2021