Buxton Museum & Art Gallery, Terrace Road, Buxton, SK17 6DA
Tel: 01629. 533540
Entry / Cost: Admission is FREE but donations welcome
- Visit Buxton Museum to learn about the fascinating geology, archeology and history of the Peak District at the Wonders of the Peak exhibition – due to open in Spring 2017, the redevelopment of this exhibition will showcase more objects that ever before telling the story of Derbyshire lives and landscapes through its collection and providing material through digital interpretation.
- Visitors will be able to explore four areas: caves, valleys, hills and pastures, discovering how the landscapes of the Peak District evolved and changed over time.
- The Derbyshire Open, an annual open art competition, is open to both amateur and professional artists and competition entrants are asked to capture an image of what Derbyshire means to the artist. An exhibition of finalists work will go on display at Buxton Museum and Art Gallery from Saturday 24th June until Friday 1st September 2017.
- The art gallery has changing exhibitions and collections throughout the year showcasing local and national work.
- Regular programme of workshops and activities for families and children runs throughout the year and at key times such as Easter, summer holidays and Christmas.
- School parties and young persons groups are welcome – get in touch with the museum prior to your visit if you wish to arrange specific activities.
- The museum gift shop sells a wide range of gifts, toys, replicas and items inspired by the Wonders of the Peak exhibition, a large selection of colourful minerals and rocks, t-shirts, postcards, fossils, gifts made from decorative stones, local history and special interest books, soft toys and more.
- Online access to the museum collections will allow users to access and interact with specific objects and collections remotely and via mobile devices – more information will be available very soon.
- If you’re interested in finding out more about the museum, why not join Friends of Buxton Museum and Art Gallery? Independently run, they hold regular free monthly talks with notable speakers relating to science, art and history, followed by free refreshments. Members also receive invitations to previews of the museum’s temporary art exhibitions and opportunities to work with the museum and its collections. Find out more here.
- Free Wi-fi is available throughout the museum and gallery. There is free short-term (40 minutes) parking on the road outside. The Slopes and the Market Place pay-and-display car parks are a few minutes’ walk away.
Tuesday to Friday 9.30am to 5.30pm
Saturday 9.30am to 5pm
Sunday and bank holidays (from Easter to September) 10.30am to 5pm.
Last admission to the upstairs galleries is 15 minutes before closing time.
TripAdvisor Rating & Latest Reviews
Location & Map, How to find us
There is a limited free short-term (40 minutes) parking on the road directly outside the museum.
Pay and display car parking is available near the museum (High Peak Borough Council – The Slopes and the Market Place).
Buses stop a few minutes away on Terrace Road and the Market Place.
The train station is 10mins walk from the museum.