Blackwell Mill Cycle Hire, Monsal Trail, Bakewell Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 9TE
For SATNAV follow SK17 9TE
T: 01298 70838 / 01298 71986
COVID-19 Information for visitors:
- Screens have been placed across both counters in the Tuck shop and Cycle hire.
- Tuck shop customers will be served from the hatch and not from inside the building.
- There is chain barrier in place across the entrance allowing staff to have full control of who enters the building.
- Bollards are in place to assist queuing and guidance is visible for customers on social distancing
- All bikes and equipment will be sanitised between rentals
- All staff will be wearing protective gloves throughout as well as providing hand washing facilities and hand sanitiser for staff and customers.
The Monsal trail is a disused railway line closed in 1968 and recently converted in 2010 – 2011 into a new traffic-free cycle track, allowing people to cycle from Blackwell Mill, Nr.Buxton to Bakewell.
Blackwell Mill Cycle Hire is at the START of the eight and half mile trail which follows the river Wye, taking you through several newly opened lit tunnels, between steep gorges, surrounding lime stone hills and across the spectacular Monsal Dale viaduct making this an exceptional cycling experience.
Discover along the way the stepping stones and natural springs, lime-kilns and the old station at Millers Dale built in 1863 where the hustle and bustle of the past are but a distant memory.
Spot the cotton mills of Litton and Cressbrook built in the 18th century, here the force of the river Wye was used to power the waterwheels of the mills. Stop and look down to see the river Wye waterfall at water Cum-Jolly unseen from this view point for over forty years.
Cycle on to Hassop Station, where you can enjoy a welcome break at the book store and restaurant. Then continue cycling on to the famous Market town of Bakewell where you will find designated bike racks to allow you to park your bike and browse.
On your return rest and relax before going home at Blackwell Mills very own Lazy Days Tuck shop where you can indulge yourself with refreshments of coffee, cake and confectioneries.
With stunning views of the Peak District along the trail, the route is teaming with wildlife – spot dragonflies, herons, kingfishers, rabbits, hares, butterflies and pretty wild flowers such as St John’s Wort, Field Scabious and Meadow Crane-Bill along the way.
Cycling the Monsal Trail is an deal family day out and suitable for all fitness levels with a range of bikes available to suit all sizes. Baby seats and trailers are also available and helmets are provided free of charge.
Bookings are taken by telephone only. Deposit is required for advance group bookings. Proof of identity is needed for all bookings. Payment can be made by cash or debit cards.