We continually receive enquiries about images of Buxton in days gone by, particularly from the Edwardian and Victorian era – so, here’s 15 vintage images captured of our beautiful spa town. Vintage Buxton – 15 Even More Rare Images of Buxton in the Past
Buxton from Corbar Hill c. 1877. Note the Wesleyan chapel in the foreground next to the hospital which is no longer there. The Devonshire Hospital is seen here before addition of the roof in 1881.
A rare image from 1929 featuring the grand but short-lived Empire Hotel in the background with the Pavilion Gardens and tennis courts in the foreground.
A rare view of the Market Hall, Market Place, c.1870’s, before the current building we see today exisited.
Ashwood Park, 1923, the park then offered a variety of activities.
Gentleman’s corridor of the Thermal Baths, 1966, with former treatment rooms to the left.
The new Pump Room in the Crescent, designed by Henry Currey and seen here on its opening day in 1894.
A view of The Slopes c. early 1900’s. The Town Hall can be seen in the background which opened in 1889. The pepper-pot domes on the Pump Room were later removed in 1937 as they were deemed unsafe.
William Deacon’s Bank at Cavendish Circus c. late 1940’s, still with colonnading intact.
Buxton’s Market Hall and the Market Place. The Market Hall originally used for the sale of produce, burnt down in 1885 and was replaced by the current Town Hall in 1889.
Devonshire Hospital, 1880, during construction of the dome. During the work, architect R.R. Duke happened to meet a railway engineer who informed him of design faults in the metal work which had contributed to the recently fallen Tay Bridge. This caused Duke to go immediately to the hospital and order the redrilling of parts of the supporting ribs of his dome.
A bustling Spring Gardens, 1923.
A rare photograph of Buxton Market Place in the 1870’s showing buildings at the side of the Eagle Hotel which were replaced by Eagle Parade in 1890. Note Hargreaves & Son on the right, which still trades from Spring Gardens today.
A Lovely photograph of children feeding pigeons in the Pavilion Gardens in 1900.
G.Oram Garage at The Old Court House, c.1958
Empire Hotel c. late 1940’s, which was located off Park Road. It was demolished in 1964.